What is PNR status?
PNR status is a short form of (passenger name record). It is basically a record type which is saved in their database as records of the reservation of the tickets on the name of the particular person. As the other proof of documents like PAN card or driving license are stored during the time of reservation. It’s not difficult for the railways as well to confirm the tickets and this makes the database more up to date and secured.
To me more precise whenever a ticket is booked with Indian railways all the details of the passenger are stored in the central database system. These details of the passenger are linked through a 10 digit number called as the PNR number. This number is printed on the ticket and is unique for each ticket. On this PNR number, all the personal information of the passenger like name, age , gender and pan card or driving license number are stored. It has columns which store the current status and booking status of tickets.
As the train has a limited number of seats available, sometimes when the ticket is not confirmed you will get a waiting list (W/L) option. When the seats become available the newly confirmed tickets has a PNR status which can be checked easily online or through a log in your account. So when your tickets are confirmed all you should have is its PNR status which will be a confirmation of your seat number and your journey through the train.
Where to find PNR number on tickets?
You can find PNR number generally on the top left corner of the tickets in case of the tickets that are booked offline through the window and in the case of tickets booked online the PNR status is printed on top in a separate cell. This PNR number is a 10 digit number which is usually separated by the hyphen.
How can you check PNR status?
There are a number of ways available through which you can check your PNR status-
- You can check PNR status through online websites you can just type on Google check PNR status and you will be automatically directed towards the website to check PNR status.
- You can also check the current reservation using SMS.
- There are mobile applications available which may help you to check your PNR status quickly if you have already downloaded them.
- You can also check your status through counters that are available at railways.
- Finally, you can check the PNR through the list that is made one hour before the departure of the train. And is fixed near the gate of the train before departure so if you do not have any online mode to check your PNR status you can opt this way also
There are various websites which are available online to check the PNR status-
- www.trainpnrstatus.com -This website is doing a great job though it is an unofficial website but you can check PNR status easily. Apart from PNR enquiries, it provides other enquiries as well like we can check station code, coach status and all.
- www.indianrail.gov.in – This is the official web portal of Indian railways. You can also easily check your PNR status here.
- www.irctc.co.in– It is the only website of IRCTC where you can book the online ticket. If you have booked your ticket through this website then you can go online check the booked history. Select your ticket and get The PNR status of your ticket.
Indian railways have provided each and every facility to satisfy their customers to watch their PNR status. The customers can check PNR status through SMS also. Indian railways have provided these services. Most used service among them is as follows.
- 139 SMS service- This service is one of the first services that is launched by Indian railways. Passengers can easily get the PNR status they want through this service one just needs to do the following things. They just need to type an SMS and sent it to 139.
PNR<type your 10 digit PNR number>
For example PNR 1234567890
This facility is available by various sim card providers like BSNL, Aircel, Airtel, Idea, Loop, MTNL, Reliance, Tata, Telenor and Vodafone
2.-5676747 SMS service- This service is provided by rail zone. You just need to type like this
PNR<10 digit PNR number> and send it to 5676747
For example PNR 1234567890 to 5676747
Various mobile applications have been developed-
There are various mobile applications which have been developed exclusively for checking PNR status. These mobile applications can be downloaded easily from play store whether you are using an android or iPhone these applications are easily available on any operating system. This method is the quickest and easy to use a method.